From the Hamlyn New All Colour Cookbook (1986).
50g butter or margarine
1 egg (beaten)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes, then boil in salted water until tender.
2. Drain and mash.
3. Beat in the fat, egg and seasoning. Let cool.
4. Grease a baking tray and on it….
5. Pipe the mixture through a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle to make rosettes. (I didn’t bother, but it would be nice as you’d get plenty of crispy edges.)
6. Brush the rosettes with the beaten egg.
7. Bake in a moderately hot oven (200C) for 25 minutes or until golden.
8. Best to serve in a warmed serving dish, and garnished with parsley sprigs.