I thought the pesa recipe was just for fish (can’t remember if my Mum made chicken with it), but checking other Filipino blogs (thank you!), it can also be used for chicken. I’m just missing the cabbage here as I did not have any.
For the chicken, you may use skinless, of course but if you do give the onions a quick saute first.
3 chicken thighs
3 cups water
1 large white onion (julienned)
1-inch ginger (thinly sliced)
½ tsp peppercorns
fish/Thai sauce (a splash or two)
3 medium-sized potatoes (quartered)
6 leaves of cabbage (cut into three)—I didn’t have this!
2 small bunches of pak choi (trimmed at the ends)
salt & pepper to taste
chicken cube (optional)
1. Boil the chicken in the water. The moment the water boils…
2. Add onion, ginger, peppercorns and fish/Thai sauce.
3. When the onions start to turn translucent, add the potatoes.
4. When the potatoes are cooked, add the cabbage, then pak choi. Allow to wilt (est.7-10 minutes).
5. Add chicken cube; season with salt and pepper.
Best served with rice (of course!)