I had the most wonderful pilau rice at my friend A’s place. Determined to replicate it, I immediately set to work the next day! But my memory is short, so I had to use goodtoknow as a guide.
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 cardamom pods (green is best!)
1 tbs oil for sauteing
1 onion (julienned)
1 tbsp turmeric
2 cups rice
2 cups water (or more to cook the rice)
2 bay leaves
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1. In a wok, toast cumin seeds, cardamom pods and cloves. Then grind with a mortar and pestle.
2. Heat oil and saute onion.
3. Then add the turmeric and the other ground spices. Stir.
4. (Optional: you can also add vegetables at this stage–I used capsicum and garden peas)
5. Add the rice, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Mix.
6. Add water to boil the rice in the mixture. Cover and do not disturb until cooked.