I followed all of Shiran’s proportions (listed below). This is less sweet than the treats you would get from the shops, but I would still try to half the sugar next time (just my preference). I’ll probably also add another cup of mango. When I do I’ll let you know any difference in texture.
250 grams plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
6 tbsps white sugar
6 tbsps Demerara sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk (or, put 1 tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice in a cup, top up with milk until it fills the cup; stir and leave for 5 minutes)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsps honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp grated lemon zest (optional—I didn’t include this)
1 cup mangoes (cubed)
1. Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon.
2. Add sugars. Mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, honey, vanilla and lemon zest.
4. Slowly combine the wet into the dry ingredients.
5. Fold in the mango cubes.
6. Pour the batter into the greased muffin trays (makes 24) or paper cups.
7. Bake in the oven pre-heated to 175C for 15 minutes (I used a fan oven) or until they’re brown at the top.